Summary on Swedish unemployment insurance funds

Last updated 2/11/2020
Here you can read about the unemployment insurance funds in Sweden you can become a member of and how they are structured.

This information is for EU/EEA citizens only

Unemployment insurance funds in Sweden

Temporary regulations 13th of April 2020 to 3rd of January 2021 due to the coronavirus/covid-19 situation

Unemployment insurance funds (a-kassor) are organisations that manage unemployment benefits for their members. If you would like to become a member of an unemployment insurance fund, it must be an unemployment insurance fund in your country of employment. Unemployment insurance funds include certain business areas or industries and may have a connection to trade organisations. However, membership in an unemployment fund does not necessarily entail membership in a trade association or trade union.

A Swedish unemployment insurance fund administers the payment of unemployment benefits (arbetslöshetsersättning) for the unemployed. It is a kind of insurance against unemployment that you draw when you become a member of an unemployment insurance fund. The benefit is calculated on the basis of the unemployed person’s former income, but cannot exceed 80 percent of their salary, max 1200 SEK per day.

Unemployment insurance funds vary in subscription and cost between 110 SEK/month - 200 SEK/month (2020). Check with the individual unemployment insurance fund. Every a-kassa has a designated EU-case worker whom you can contact. 

Did you find this information relevant?

Do you want to elaborate?

Thanks for your reply.

We can help you

You can always visit our Information Center in Malmø to get help with your questions regarding working, moving or studying in Sweden.


Monday - Friday 10.00 -15.00

Supported by