The informationcenter in Malmø is open again Read more here

Covid-19: Information for commuters

Last updated 9/23/2021
We have collected a few links with information about the restrictions and travel-advice from Sweden and Danish authorities to help cross-border commuters who travel across Øresund daily to stay informed.

Information for cross-border commuters

Covid-19 restrictions at the borders

Restrictions on travel to Sweden

There are several travel restrictions currently in force at the Swedish border. You will find an updated list of these restrictions in our article on the Swedish border.

Go to our article about the Swedish border

Restrictions on travel to Denmark

There are several travel restrictions currently in force at the Danish border. You will find an updated list of these restrictions in our article on the Danish border.

Go to our article about the Danish border

Tax, social insurance and working from home

Taxes and working from home

Many workers have recently been forced to work from home. If you commute between Sweden and Denmark, working from come could mean that you change what country you pay taxes in.

If you are required to declare income tax in both your country of work and your country of residence, taxes in one country will be deduced from the other. You will never be subjected to double taxation.

Read more about working from home in our article here

New tax law in 2021 affects commuters

If you have a Danish employer, and if you live and work in Sweden, you might need to pay preliminary taxes to Skatteverket, the Swedish tax authority.

If you income has been affected during the pandemic – for example, if it is lower than usual – you need to change your preliminary tax so that you pay the correct taxes this year.


More information about preliminary taxes at

Remember to update your preliminary taxes

If your income changes – for example, if you are working less hours, or if your income taxation is split between two countries – you should update your preliminary tax return. If the estimation is too high, it will result in you paying too much in preliminary taxes. You will not get back the difference until June when you have completed your final tax declaration.

More information on preliminary income declaration at

Social insurance is not affected by working from home

Försäkringskassan and Udbetaling Danmark have agreed on exemptions from certain social insurance rules, such as in which country cross-border commuters should be insured and in what country the employer pays employer contributions.



  • If you live in Denmark and normally work in Sweden, your social insurance in Sweden will not be affected by you working from home in Denmark during the pandemic.
  • If you live in Sweden and normally work in Denmark, your social insurance in Denmark will not be affected by you working form home in Sweden during the pandemic.
  • If you had an A1 certificate, that certificate is still valid.

Be aware that the exemption is only valid for individuals who have switched to a working from home arrangement. It is not valid if you, for example, start a new job at a new employer or start your own busines.


If you are unsure about what these rules mean to you, please contact Øresunddirekt at or Försäkringskassan at (+46) 10 11 51 964.


More information about the social insurance exemption can be found here

Unemployed or furloughed because of covid-19

If you live in Sweden and become unemployed

It is important to register at Arbetsförmedlingen on your first day as unemployed. You can then apply for membership in a Swedish a-kasse and receive unemployment benefits.

The same rules apply if you live in Sweden and have been commuting to a job in Denmark. You need to register at Arbetsförmedlingen in order to be ‘avaliable’ on the employment market, which is a pre-requisite for receiving unemployment benefits.

More information about a-kasse for cross-border commuters à

More information about what to do when you stop working in Sweden à

Adapted rules for a-kasse in Sweden

The Swedish government has adapted the unemployment insurance during the pandemic so that more could qualify for unemployment benefits. Read more about the adapted rules below.

Furloughed cross-border commuter with a Danish employer – with salary

The Danish government is offering a financial aid package to companies having to temporarily furlough their employees due the coronavirus/covid-19 crisis.

If your Danish employer makes use of the Danish states’ salary compensation program, and you have received a written confirmation that you will continue to be employed, then you will receive full pay in the meantime. You must be at your employer’s disposal and be able to return to work when the employer finds it appropriate. Your contribution is that you give up 5 vacation days. Your employer will receive a large portion of the cost from the Danish state.

More information at

Furloughed cross-border commuter with a Swedish employer – with salary

Being sent on furlough means that your employer is sending you home, either fully or partially, with pay. You are still considered an employee at your company, and you should be ready to come back to work on short notice. You do not need to contact or register at Arbetsförmedlingen when you are on furlough, as you are still employed.

You might also be sent on short-term furlough (korttidspermittering). This means that you will go down in hours and receive slightly less pay. If you are sent on short-term furlough due to covid-19, the Swedish state will support your company in paying your wages, and you normally receive about 80% of your wages, even though you work less hours.

More information about short-term furlougs on Tillväxtverkets webpage

Furloughed by a Danish or Swedish employer – without pay

A Swedish employer can not generally send an employee on furlough without pay.

If you have been sent on furlough, and your company cannot provide compensation, you should contact your Danish or Swedish a-kassa to apply for dagpenge. Ask to speak to someone who handles EU cases at your a-kasse.

If you are not a member of an a-kasse, you will not be able to receive compensation while you are on furlough without pay.

Unemployed due to bankruptcy

It is important to know your rights if you work in Sweden and your employer files for bankruptcy. In some cases, you might be eligible for state support.

More information in our article about unemployment due to bankruptcy

Vaccination and covid-19 testing in the Øresund region

Covid-19 tests and vaccinations against covid-19 infections have become a crucial tool in limiting the spread of the disease in the region. Please find more information about how to get tested and where to get vaccinated if you live and work in the region.


If you live in Sweden, you will receive an offer of vaccination from the region where you live. You will receive the offer even if you work in Denmark, if you are socially insured in Denmark or if you are a citizen of another country. In some case, if you for example work in the health sector in Denmark, you might receive an offer of vaccination from your employer.


Vaccination in Sweden:

You can find answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding vaccination at 1177 Vårdguiden. Here you will find answers to questions such as: When can I get vaccinated? Can I book an appointment, and if so, how?

More information on the rules in your region on 1177


Vaccination in Denmark:

If you are registered as living in Denmark, you have the right to get an covid-19 vaccination in Denmark.

This also accounts for individuals, that are socially insured in Denmark, but live in Sweden. You will then still have the right to be vaccinated in Denmark using your "special insurance card" ("særligt sundhedskort"), where your CPR-number is stated. If you have NemID, you will automatically get an invitation when it's your age groups turn to be vaccinated. In that case, you will get an invitation to book a time slot at

Go to


If you dont have NemID, you wont get an automatical invitation. In that case, you will have to contact your local region in Denmark, when its your age groups turn to be vaccinated. 


Contakt Region Hovedstaden: (+45) 38 66 00 00

Contakt Region Sjælland: (+45) 70 20 42 33

Covid-19 tests in Denmark

Most cross-border commuters in the Öresund region are currently required to present a negative covid-19 test to cross either of the borders. There are several possibilities to take a test in Denmark.

You can book a free covid-19 test in Denmark if you have a Danish CPR number.

Log in with NemID at to book a test


There are also several private companies that provide so called quick tests (“kviktest” or antigen tests). You do not need to book an appointment in advance at these test centers. These tests are free for Danish citizens.

More information about quick test centers at

Covid-19 tests in Sweden

To be able to travel across the border to Denmark, you may need to take a covid-19 test.

Find more information about travel certificates at (in Swedish)


Test a travel certificate

The Danish police accepts both PCR-tests and antigen-tests, but not anti-body tests. Several pieces of information have to be included on the test certificate such as your name, the time of testing and who issued the certificate. Tests can be presented either on paper, or digitally – for example on the phone. Test results who are not negative will not be accepted.

You are encouraged to use the template travel certificates on the’s website.

Find the template here


Covid-19 tests by private companies

There are also private actors that offer covid-19 tests.

List of private testing agencies at (in Swedish)


Please be aware that:

  • Test that you take yourself at home are not accepted at the border.
  • Anti-body tests are not accepted at the border.
  • The Danish border police reserves the right to stop anyone who is showing clear signs of illness, such as a cough or fever, from entering Denmak.
  • If you have received a positive covid-19 result, and at least 14 days have passed, you are exempt from the negative test requirement.


Other information from Swedish public authorities - Information about restrictions and recommendations in Sweden

Here, you will find information about current restrictions in Sweden and recommendations from all the Swedish public authorities.

More information at

Folkhälsomyndigheten - Health data and information regarding covid-19

Folkhälsomyndighetens webpage contains information about the current levels of covid-19 in Sweden and globally. You will also find advice on how you can protect yourself and others during the pandemic. It also contains information related to schools, kindergartens and travel.

Go to

Travel advice from Utrikesdepartementet (The Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

The Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs publish up to date travel advice on their website.


Go to

Read more about the Danish borders at


If you have any other questions regarding travel, you might find your answer in this “Frequently Asked Questions” article published by the Swedish government.

Frequently asked questions about travel (in Swedish) 

Did you find this information relevant?

Do you want to elaborate?

Thanks for your reply.

Supported by