Partial closure of the Swedish borders due to coronavirus/covid-19

D. 5/15/2020
The Swedish government is introducing travel restrictions to limit the spread of coronavirus/covid-19. This will not affect Danish citizens or citizens of other countries in the EEA.

Nordic citizens will not be affected by the entry ban. The entry ban applies to all foreign nationals attempting to enter Sweden from a country that is not a member of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland. Swedish citizens and Swedish residents will always be able to return to their homes. The entry ban does not apply to people with particularly urgent needs or who carry out essential functions in Sweden.

The entry ban has been extended to the 15th of June.


Read more about the decision on


Stay updated on

More information on what type of identification and/or documents you should bring with you for the Swedish border control can be found on (in Swedish)


What rules applies at the Swedish border control

Citizens of a Nordic country (Danish citizen)

As a citizen of a Nordic country (Denmark) you should be able to present one of the following:

  • A passport, a driving license or a national ID-card.

A valid driving license from a Nordic country should normally be enough for travel within the Nordic countries. However, to err on the side of caution, it is always safest to present a passport or a national ID-card. Please note that it is up to the traveller to provide evidence of their citizenship.

If you do not have a passport or a driving license, please find more information at about how to get a Danish ID-card.

More information on

ID-cards issued by tax agencies, banks or DSB are not counted as valid ID-cards at the border.


Travelling with children

If you are traveling with your child, the child is not required to show ID as long as the child is traveling with you as its parent and that you have valid travel documents that confirms that you are the child's guardian. This is applicable for Nordic citizens and if you child is not traveling with its grandparents. If you child has a passport, we advise that this is brought along. You can contact the Swedish police on this number 0046 – 77 – 114 14 00.

Anyone under 18 years of age that are traveling alone is required to show a passport or a valid ID-card and potentially other valid travel documents.

Citizens from another country in EU/EEA

As a citizen from another country in the EU/EEA you should be able to present one of the following:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid national ID-card

For people with a residence permit or a Schengen visa, you are required to present:

  • A valid passport and a document that shows that you have a residence permit or a Schengen visa.
Citizens from a country outside of EU/EEA

If you are a foreign national travelling from a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you should expect to be denied entry into Sweden provided that you do not have a particularly urgent need to enter Sweden.

The entry ban does no apply if your reason for travel is to return to your home if you are a EEA or Swiss citizen or if you are family member of such a citizen,  if you have long-term resident status, temporary residence permit or a permanent residence permit in in Sweden or another EU member state. The entry ban does not apply if you have a national visa for Sweden.

For example, a particuarly urgent need to travel could be to perform an essential function in Sweden, such as traveling for a job in the health sector. You should be able to present the required documentation as evidence at the border, such as employment contracts or other documentary proof.

In addition, you should be able to present your passport. The passport should not be more than 10 years old, and should be valid for at least 3 months after your return home. Visas could also be required. Please check what documentation that is required for entry into Sweden from different countries at the websites of Regeringskansliet or Migrationsverket.

Stay updated on the traffic situation between Denmark and Sweden

Train traffic over Øresund

Stay updated on the train traffic over Øresund at the DSB or Skånetrafiken websites.

More information on

More information on


DSB have announced that you can get a refund on your tickets to Sweden without charge.

More information on DSB (in Danish)


Skånetrafiken have decided to repay bought and activated tickets to Denmark due to the coronavirus. If you wish to return your ticket, you can call their customer service or contact their service center. 

More information (in Swedish) on Skånetrafiken


SJ trains are not crossing the border to or from Denmark. If you hold a ticket for this route, you will receive information via text message with more information.

More information on

Copenhagen Airport

Stay updated regarding the air traffic to and from Copenhagen airport at

More information on

Ferry connections between Helsingør and Helsingborg

Stay updated on the ferry traffic over Øresund at

More information on

Ferry connections between Rønne og Ystad

Stay updated regarding the ferry traffic between Bornholm and Sweden at and Bornholms municipality (Bornholms Regionskommune) website.

More information on

More information on Bornholms Regionskommune


If you are travelling through Sweden on your way from Bornholm to the rest of Denmark or vice versa, you will not be rejected at the Danish or Swedish border. However, you might experience longer waiting times as long as the border control is in effect. The decision to disocurage from non-essential travel abroad should also be applied on commuting through Sweden.

More information on

Did you find this information relevant?

Do you want to elaborate?

Thanks for your reply.

Coronavirus affecting Øresunddirekt

Regarding to reduce the incidence of coronavirus/covid-19 the information center in Malmö is closed for visits. You can still contact Øresunddirekt by phone or email.